Upcycled Yoga Top

Hi all!
I have not been sitting still :) I made this fantastic yoga top out of three tops I had lying around and which ended up in my 'to amend' stash. One night, the inspiration fairy visited and this is a gorgeous result:

I'm so pleased with it!!

This was how it all started. One black top that I got at a sample sale for the bf a long time ago. He didn't wear it anymore and the fabric was just too gorgeous to bin/give to charity, two crop tops from Primark that I got on sale once for £1. I really thought I would wear those and I might have... once or twice... ;)

I sliced the two crop tops diagonally, wove them together to create a new harlequin-like design, and pinned the lot together. Then the project kind of halted for a while as the sewing bit was very unappealing. In the end I did get back to it and zigzagged the lot together. That was such a lot of work! I don't have any pics of the process, I think I just wanted it to be done tbh. The insides don't look great as I wasn't exactly accurate when I 'sliced' the fabric, but the outside looks cool :)

Once the zigzagging was done, I sewed the front and back together. Then I sewed the top onto the bottom part of the black top, and used the overlocked to hem the lot. I still had fabric left from the crop top sleeves so I braided that and used it as a detail on one of the shoulders. Originally, I wanted to make a cross-strap but the back of the top was too high for that. This works perfectly as one side was really high that the shoulders actually matched as well. 

I used the cutoff of the neckline from where I used the overlocker to add this detail on the side. I also used another braid to finish the look.

Tiny oops, the braids were not supposed to be on the same side of the top. I only realised once it was all put together. Not that that takes away any of the effect I think :) The above picture is of the back, it's nice and high so great for yoga.

This is the front of the top, I really love how it came out :)

Lovely girl at yoga took some pics to see the top 'in action'. I love how I used the bottom of the black top. I only cut it off just below where the sleeves began, so it's nice and long and doesn't travel.

Did I mention how much I love this top? It's so comfortable! I have a feeling I will be wearing this outside of yoga also ;)

Yay one more project done, a few more like these please and I'll have some great things for summer! Good thing summer seems to be late this year so I have some more time ;)

Comments

  1. I LOVE this top MJ - what a great refashion, The harlequin design is genius - love the braids and the overall look is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I would love for you to link up to the Stitch It, Blog It, Share It Link Party going on now at BehindtheSeamsSewing.com.
    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, make my day!

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Sock Tutorial

Fabulising February - Men's Shirt Dress

My Neighbor Totoro Project #2: Catbus