Oscar Party 2015

Hi everyone!
Fabulising February has taken a back seat at the moment, I was just too tired this weekend to create anything new... Must be the weather or something as everyone is saying the same! I might just have to create something in March to make up for it :)

But the time of year has come again to celebrate the Oscars. I have only seen a few of the movies nominated for anything this year (well that's pretty much the same every year tbh) but somehow there was much less of a hype to it this year than normally. I can't quite put my finger to it but it just wasn't the same. Coming up with a menu also wasn't easy let me tell you. All my usual websites didn't have any suggestions whatsoever, but in the end we had a lovely meal that didn't even take that much prep! Now there's a change... So let me show you, the Oscar Party of 2015!

I had the usual decorations up of course... I forgot to take a picture of the Oscar statues, doh!

As I'd only started the (minimal but still needed) prep when I got home from work, we skipped the red carpet and went straight to the show. I'll have to catch up on the red carpet though as I love seeing all the dresses. It was a bit tricky with the food, and the ballot, and the bingo going on at the same time! Let me show you the food I made for the nominees for Best Picture:

The Theory of Everything - blini with caviar (the cheap stuff), and chorizo (because you know, it has everything). This one was so difficult so we just diverted to our usual option. Very yummy though!

American Sniper - Texas Caviar. As the main character is a proud Texan, I had to find a recipe that was the same. This was amazing! I had the leftovers yesterday, it's really really good!

Selma - Southern Broccoli Tomato Salad. MLK loved his greens apparently, so I tweaked this recipe (left out the cheese and the dressing) as a side. It was gorgeous!

Boyhood - Pizza Hawai with BBQ sauce. In the movie they appear to go for pizza etc a lot, so this seemed just perfect, especially with the added BBQ sauce.

This is where the light got turned off so the pics are terrible but you get the idea... 

Birdman - Panseared NY Strip with Garlic Butter Sauce Onions. No chicken for this movie, but as it plays in NY, the bf cooked this lovely steak :)

Whiplash - South Style Lima Beans. Another southern dish as jazz is from the south. Apparently so are lima beans, but guess what? They don't sell those here! Or so we found out after hours of shopping... So we opted for butter beans instead which also worked very well.

The Imitation Game - Potato-Celeriac Cakes. The celeriac was left out, but these were really nice! Loved the nutmeg addition :) And the bf saved the day by telling me to add some flour to make it stick together more, it worked like a charm.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Chocolate Eclairs and Custard Slices. I shamefully admit that I didn't prep this at all and had to go out and BUY dessert. I've never bought dessert for an Oscar party. But making choux pastry in the last minute when I've never made it before just wasn't something I wanted to attempt. And the bf looked everywhere for a Religieuse, but again no luck. These were still very good though :)

I managed to spectacularly lose not only the Oscar Bingo (my square came up at the second to last award!) but also the Oscar ballot. Can you believe I only had 4 points out of 24? Shocking... Must prepare better next year. But as always it was great fun, and I just love how this became a tradition!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Sock Tutorial

Fabulising February - Men's Shirt Dress

My Neighbor Totoro Project #2: Catbus