Recipe - Rhubarb Banana Pie

Hello again everyone!
This year will not see a lot of Halloween projects on my blog I'm afraid... No, am not ill or anything, I just don't have the time and have a lot of other projects to finish as well. Plus, how much Halloween stuff can a person have in the their house? OK, on second thought maybe I am ill. LOL. Well, let's see what happens. It would be weird for aHalloween fan like myself not to post about Halloween. I'll see what I can do ;)

This recipe is not Halloweeny although given its colour I'm sure it could be used for it :) It's a Rhubarb Banana Pie and it tastes wonderful. I got the recipe here but it didn't have photos so that needed to be remedied. Good thing I baked this pie then!

You will need:
  • Pastry for 2-crust pie
  • 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb, about 1 pound
  • 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon butter, cut in small pieces
Instructions:

Prepare pastry for pie crust.
Roll out half of the pastry to a 12-inch circle and line a 9-inch pie plate. 
In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, bananas, sugar, orange juice, flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. 
Spoon mixture into the pastry-lined pie plate and dot with butter. 

Like so, doesn't it look yummy?

Roll remaining pastry into an 11-inch circle for top crust. Place over the fruit filling, seal, and flute all around. 

 My fluting needs work really, but it's not too bad. Six of the hearts have a different colour but those were from the first batch of pastry and were a little warmer (ah so this is what happens when you leave it out of the fridge!)

Bake pie at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake 30 minutes longer, or until pie is nicely browned.

So pretty! And see, the six 'warm' hearts are much lighter in colour. Lesson learned...

Cool banana rhubarb pie completely. 

Once cooled, slice...

And eat! 
Granted, this piece looks a bit like an angry dragon, but it was so yummy!

I can definitely recommend this recipe if you like rhubarb, so go on and have a try yourself. And be sure to let me know what you think :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Sock Tutorial

Fabulising February - Men's Shirt Dress

My Neighbor Totoro Project #2: Catbus